Sunday, May 31, 2009

What Happened America?

So I've been reading a book called This Crazy Vegan Life by Christina Pirello. She also has a cooking show. It's scary how, as a society, we've become so unhealthy. I see it daily at work. I teach 3rd grade so these kids are 8-9 years old. There is a boy in my class who at 9 years old weights 220 pounds. No joke. When he gets to the top of the stairs he can't breath. I'm afraid he's gonna have a heart attack. He has slep apnea and he is late daily because he is so tired due to not getting enough sleep at night. There's a 5th grader in the building and she probably weighs 240-250. Out of my 23 students I'd say about 8 or 9 of them are at a healthy weight. But are they healthy? Probably not. They still eat like crap.....a can of Pringles for breakfast, 3 or 4 Little Huggies every day, soda at breakfast, etc. Junk food junkies! The rest are overweight.....most probably 10-15 pounds but still overweight non the less. It's sad.

Scott and kids are vegetarians. I still eat chicken and fish. I thought we ate pretty good......except for Scott's nightly junk-food munching. Boy was I wrong! I've been looking more and more at veganism and raw food diets. I wonder if that's what I need to start doing. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and nuts now but maybe that needs to be the focus of my food in-take.

With a 5th family I know being affected by autism, I have been scrutenizing my diet even more. I have stopped milk products all together. It's been about 2 months I think. It was easy until I had to start reading labels. I never realized how much stuff has whey and casein in it. Way more than I realized.

I wonder how much of the disease in the world would just disappear if we all started eating whole foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment