I found a couple of really cool gluten-free blogs. They are on my list of blogs I follow so check them out! Lots of recipes. I can't wait to try some of them. Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to really go thru the pantry and remove anything with gluten that I used to eat.
I've gotten all milk, casin, and whey infested products out of the house. I'm slowly trying to pull it from the kids' diets too but it's hard. They are cheese hounds. Maybe I can limit it. I have been off of all dairy for a month and a half and I really feel the difference in my body. When I did have dairy to force inflamation, I felt an immediate reaction. Not only did I swell and have pain, but I felt bloated and just gross. My whole insides hated me! I still miss cheese and pizza and Stoney Field yogurt and Abbott's. Oh my God! How am I going to live without Abbott's! And GARBAGE PLATES!!! I could get a hamburger plate with no mac salad. Better yet! I'll make my own! Luckily I can still eat Bottled Hell! No dairy in there!
If you want to be a Non-Dairy Queen, here is a list of some of the tastier things I have had. If you are local, Wegmans carries these but not all carry the yogurt. Lori's and Abundance Co-Op carry all of it:
- BUTTER SUBSTITUTE-Don't use margerine! Try Earth Balance instead.
- YOGURT-I'm not fond of coconut unless it's fresh but So Delicious coconut milk yogurts. They have all the yogurt bacteria.
- SOUR CREAM SUB-There are 3 I've found and they are Sour Supreme, Tofutti, and Follow Your Heart are the best brands
- CREAM CHEESE SUB-I've only found one. Better Than Cream Cheese isn't too bad.
- MILK-I mainly use hemp milk now. The best brand is Living Harvest. The chocolate is divine! If you want to try almond milk I suggest Almond Breeze. For soy, I used good old Eden Soy but it's rare.
- CHEESE-Haven't found a good one yet but Veganrella isn't too bad on homemade pizza. Just don't use a ton. It also has gluten in it so if you avoid gluten, don't bother.
So that's it I think! You can use these as you would the regular dairy product. I've been cooking with them for a long time. My vegan beef stroganoff is YUMMY!!!!! Too bad it's full of gluten! Damn it! :0)